Sunday, January 9, 2011

Advice from a 1/12th ripe FEMBA

I didn't do much research before I applied to the UCLA FEMBA program. It was only after I received the admit that I got in touch with a few seniors. Here are the top bits of advice I received from them and my views one quarter later.

The more you like your day job, the harder FEMBA will be.
Very true. I tried to balance my time between work and studies, but found myself giving work first priority on most occasions. I was told by seniors that I shouldn't expect to get straight As and be a stellar performer at work over the next three years. I'd love to bust that myth but it's going to be daunting.

The 1st quarter is fairly easy for those with a quantitative background.
I have to agree and disagree. I have an engineering degree so I didn't find stats as challenging as other majors did.  However, the sheer amount of homework assigned and the struggle to get settled into the new routine made the first quarter pretty darn hard.

If you don't know which clubs you are interested in, join them all. Measure the membership costs relative to the $$$ you're paying for your degree.
I heeded this advice towards the end of the quarter and signed up for the Entrepreneurs Association and Marketing Association. I don't know yet if I want to pursue either track, but the topics interest me and I'd like to network with people in those fields. There are many other clubs I'm interested in but I don't want to add to my confusion right now.

The Leadership Foundations week is the high point of FEMBA life. Be prepared for a downhill ride from there on.
Not sure I agree. :) So far I'm still riding the fun wave, so fingers crossed!

Other things I observed :
- How much effort you put into a course affects your classmates because you contribute to the discussions and overall quality of learning.
- Most people in the program aren't a 100% sure about what they want to do with their MBA degree and that's OK.
- It's hard to get much networking done if you're only on campus on Saturdays but it's not impossible. There are always happy hours to attend after class and other trips organized fairly often.

and finally,

- There is a fine line between social networking and networking for professional purposes. I think I'll make that a whole new post.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that term: networking. (visuals of people acting like routers or nodes and communications dictated by protocols. sucks.)

    ReplyDelete