Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Who are you?

I started this blog for specific reasons. Not simply on a whim like so many things I do in life.

A) I love writing and love logging. So I figured I could combine both and maintain a detailed log a.k.a. blog of my life during FEMBA*.
B) I wanted to give mom/dad/sis a blow by blow account since my family is a  very curious bunch and I'm an impatient phone-chatter.
C) I wanted to escape the "what's up" type questions from friends. I imagined I'd get so busy with work and studies that I'd slowly fade away from the social networks (yeah, even I'm laughing right now). I wanted people to simply saunter over to my blog to see why exactly I couldn't make it to all their parties and events.
D) I want to be able to go back and relive FEMBA days many years down the line.
E) Lastly, I'm hoping the blog becomes useful in some way for people who are contemplating part-time MBA, especially the UCLA FEMBA.

So I found out that none of the people I actually started this blog for visit it often. My parents remember about the blog once a month and my sister flat out refuses to get updates from my blog when she can badger me on the phone instead. My close friends still insist on calling, texting or emailing. Fine, the objective failed but I feel very loved so I'll accept it.

Now then the big question is, who are you people who visit my blog?
You may have noticed the live-traffic tracker on the side. It shows when and from where people are visiting the site. When I installed it, I was skeptical about it working so I posted a link to the blog on Facebook just to check it out. The blog got around 170 unique visitors from Facebook that day. I only have around 500 friends on there, a quarter of whom are on limited profile settings, so that means about 40% of the friends who could see the link clicked through. I guess people were either very curious or very bored that day. :) After that day I didn't explicitly advertise the blog but I still seem to be getting regular visitors. Some of you have come up to me and told me how much you enjoy the blog (thank you very much, it means a lot!) but I have no idea who the rest of you are. I see that some people visit the site through Google search and other friends' blogs, but the majority of hits seem to come from Facebook. I'm a very curious person (family trait), so if you don't mind, could you please let me know who you are? I won't post your comment if you insist but it'll be nice to know. Or, if you want to make it more interesting, just give me a hint about  how (if) we know each other.

And with that, I'm off to tackle the performance review problem at Morgan Stanley. Yay for cryptic FEMBA talk. G'nite!


*FYI, I log my work projects in excruciating detail even though I'm the only one who sees it. I log my workouts, my dessert intake, social events, professional events, time wasted on the internet, etc. etc. As our stats prof would say - not obsessive compulsive at all.

4 comments:

  1. I got your blog from Facebook and have been a regular reader since. As an author of a blog myself, I can tell you that Google Analytics is an absolute must. Last I heard Blogger had added pretty good integration with Google Analytics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know who you are:)Thank you for commenting. Only 2 people including you have admitted to being visitors so far. Yet, I see at least 8 different views since I put this post up. Sad face.

    Ooh I must try Google Analytics. Hope it doesn't mess with the Live Tracker code. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Generally it does not. And if it does you are much better off with Google Analytics. If you have time later this Saturday I can show you what it provides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you know me too :P Your mentee @ QWISE this summer :) Awesome blog.. keep the good stuff coming!

    ReplyDelete