Sunday, November 7, 2010

Thoughts on Success

I watched The Social Network with a few friends today. There was some post-movie discussion about the authenticity of the storyline and individual perceptions of Facebook's use and abuse, but my thoughts kept going back to Zuckerberg's story. Idea -> implementation -> profit - > fame -> lawsuits. All before he's 26. Success!

When I was younger I thought success would mean having my picture on the front page of the daily newspaper. (For something commendable, not for robbing a bank or such.) Today, thanks to the internet, anybody and everybody can make it to the news for any ridiculous reason. Just hit refresh on CNN.com for proof. Andy Warhol recently updated his prediction about everyone being famous for 15 minutes in the future. He now says, "In 15 minutes, everybody will be famous." My point being, I no longer consider making it to the daily news prestigious or desirable or a yardstick to measure success.

When I mentioned the above to my friend, he nodded and said, "Sure, because news is cheap." He's right. But you know what's not cheap and way more enduring? Harvard Business School case studies. My new definition for professional success is now to become the subject of an HBS case study for efficiency/ innovation/ leadership/ best practices. Like Southwest Airlines or even Cirque du Soleil. To create a product, or service, or implement organizational practices that changes the way something is done for the better. And to get stinking rich in the process of course. Oh, and maybe even have a movie made about it? :P

1 comment:

  1. Aha. That's a nice yardstick to measure success. HBR is the new Times of India, eh? Nice. Nice.

    ReplyDelete