Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fat FEMBA

Halfway through the first quarter! Stats exam went okay, OB paper was submitted on time, a bunch of us celebrated with beer and ice-cream (Diddy Riese!) and for the first time in a week, I slept more than 5 hours last night.

But now comes my first major grouse about this whole work and study thing. FEMBA is making me unfit/unhealthy/fat.

How? Well, for starters (no pun intended), the program provides breakfast before class every weekend. There is -
1. Oatmeal/Cereal/Fruit/Orange juice
2. Bagels/Doughnuts/Croissants/Cakes/Scones/Muffins/Coffee

They're all laid out together but you can guess why I separated them. Which category do I help myself to? #2 of course. After waking up at 6am and driving two hours to school, I automatically gravitate towards the sugar and carbs! To make matters worse, there's no lunch available nearby and I always forget to pack a sandwich. So I've been skipping lunch and helping myself to the snacks which are laid out for the afternoon class. Cookies/cereal bars/some raw fruit and veggie and coffee. As a result, by the end of the day I've had about 7 servings of sugar and 5 cups of coffee. 

Even on weeknights, I don't find time to cook so I haven't been eating fresh or healthy. And given how busy I've been juggling school and work, I haven't been working out much either. Just 5 weeks of FEMBA and I'm already finding it hard to run 5K!

When I started the program, I was resigned to the fact that I wouldn't be regularly running/hiking/biking on the weekends anymore, but I never thought my entire diet and fitness regimen would come crashing down like this. I know it's not the program's fault, I just need to re-prioritize and plan my time better. I'm going to seek inspiration from classmates - the one who wakes up at 5am to workout, the one who ran 36 flights of stairs everyday at lunch, and the ones who are always training for some marathon or the other. If they can incorporate fitness into their schedules while juggling all the same responsibilities as me, I'm sure I can too! Time to haul my sorry ass to the gym now.

p.s.:
In the spirit of Halloween, the caterers got creative with our afternoon snacks yesterday. Ghosts and bats in my veggies! :)
p.p.s.:
Despite my rant, I don't regret pigging out at Diddy Riese. They have the BEST custom ice-cream sandwiches for just $1.50 and I can see why the place is such a UCLA legend. The espresso choc-chip flavor rocked my world and I don't even normally like ice-cream! Thanks to AH for taking us there:)


2 comments:

  1. Study = putting on weight! :P I notice when I attend professional development courses, I eat way more and drink way more coffee than normal work days...it's so easy to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! From Fat Fridays to Fat FEMBA! We must change this to Fit FEMBA :)

    ReplyDelete