Friday, October 22, 2010

Network,network,network

If the realtor's mantra is Location, Location, Location then a B-school student's mantra is Network, Network, Network. Sure enough, within a month of school we've had scores of opportunities to network with classmates, seniors, alumni and even prospective students. To be honest, it has been a little overwhelming. So much so that at the last breakfast event before class, I deliberately avoided eye contact with the prospective students in the crowd. (Yeah, I only went for the food. Sue me.)

The happy-hour events are more fun, but I'm still a nervous networker when I don't know people in the crowd. Past incidents certainly haven't helped. I'm never sure what to talk about! Conversation usually comes easily to me, but when it's labeled networking, it suddenly becomes a chore and I end up saying stupid things. One thing that happens frequently is that I get grilled about my choice of drink (water). The last time someone struck up a conversation asking why I was drinking water, I decided to answer the question with a question and said, "What makes you think it is water and not vodka?". The person replied, "You have a plastic cup. And no ice." Fail.

Sometimes though, when I'm not the awkward one, I have fun. For instance, last weekend at a bar after class.

PK: When did you graduate high school?

SK: 2012.

PK: Huh? High school, not FEMBA.

SK: Yeah FEMBA 2013.

PK: Dude, I'm asking when you graduated from HIGH SCHOOL.

SK: Oh high school! 1912.

There was a five second pause while we all stared and then:

SK: I mean 1992!

Moral of the story - Give a tired MBA student a beer for an assured return of conversational gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment