Sunday, October 3, 2010

MBA week one, no casualties.

Whatever happened to the concept of ramping up? After the very first day of classes, we were assigned 2 Statistics chapters to study, 2 cases to mull over, an online quiz, 3-4 readings for the Organizational Behavior class, an hour long audio to listen to, and a 3-page paper to write analyzing the issue discussed. All to be completed within a week, before the next class (which was yesterday). We now know why it's called a Fully Employed MBA program and not a Part-Time MBA program. I'm afraid that if the workload gets any worse, some of us may end up as FUMBAs - Fully Unemployed MBAs.

Last week was honestly insane. I had breakfast with stats, lunch dates with the OB papers and dinners with the guys discussing the subprime mortgage crisis on the assigned audio. The one day I managed to hit the gym, I read a paper on the treadmill. I missed a friend's birthday dinner, didn't call my family, and the gallons of coffee I consumed gave me acidity. (I tried to stay off coffee at work but then dozed off and hit my head on the keyboard. Thank goodness for a private office with a door.) On the bright side, I managed to complete the assignments aaaannd I feel smarter already so hi five!

Fortunately, the homework for the second week is a little less crazy. Of course, to maintain the balance, my day job workload has shot up but I can live with that. After all, I chose to do this. And as a classmate pointed out, the WEEKLY amount we're paying for the program, is as much as what we paid for a whole YEAR of undergrad engineering. Gulp. That is motivation enough for me to refrain from whining and giving this my best shot.

I sign off with an insight to why most of us found the OB paper so frikkin' challenging.

Have a good week y'all!

Cheers,
Femba Girl
p.s. : Hats off to my classmates who had work travel, wailing babies, talkative spouses and other such added distractions!

5 comments:

  1. That's one hell of a week! And you know, I too wondered about classmates that had families, work and the same amount of uni work to juggle with...never understood how they did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed to survive last week by not studying anything for Data and Decisions. Now it's coming back to bite me. In class I noticed everyone had solutions to problem sets. I didn't even know we had problem sets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Psych - Seriously, I can't complain at all given what some of the others are going through. And that's true for many aspects of life..

    @mario - Lol, you didn't know we had problem sets? Well you were lucky in a way. Less stressed out perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to nitpick, how did your classmate figure that one week of tuition is an entire year? If I'm not mistaken, FEMBA is roughly $40k/year with 30 weeks of instruction. That's $1333 per week. What undergrad program was only $1333/year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike - Just seeing this. I should've clarified that my classmate was referring to undergrad education fees in India :)

    ReplyDelete