Monday, October 25, 2010

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head

It is gray and rainy outside and I'm loving every bit of it. 


When I was around 8, I remember running outside to get wet in the first rains of the season, sailing paper boats in the flood waters, being punished for jumping in dirty puddles...
At 15, I remember studying for the boards with soft music playing as the rain lashed on my window, often reading by the emergency light because the rain had felled some electricity pole nearby. I remember throwing open the window in the school bus to get drenched on the way back home, and then drying my soaked books with a hair dryer before my mom found out.
At 20, I remember enjoying "cutting chai" and spicy "vada paav" in the college cafe as it poured outside, I remember sitting on wet seats in the buses and auto-rickshaws and entering the classroom dripping wet and very late, I remember watching the rains from the sloped terrace of our engineering school...


I will always remember the smell of first rains on parched Indian soil, the promise it brought far out-weighing the inconveniences. 


Oh California rains, you don't come close to the Mumbai monsoons, but I'll take what I get. 
In honor of the current weather, my typical Pandora and Youtube playlists have been replaced by old songs dedicated to the rains. And no bitching about the weather on Facebook :)


Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me...

(from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)

3 comments:

  1. the ever-nostalgic rains! njoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have that song stuck in my head. I'm glad I didn't read this before the midterms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful song, no? It's also quite a scene in the movie... :) Ah! Mumbai rains...

    ReplyDelete