Wednesday, September 22, 2010

We're not being pretentious, we're networking!

Sometime last month -

It is a class of '12 and '13 FEMBA networking event at a downtown lounge. It also happens to be the night of a bachelorette party and a high school reunion so the place is chaotic. I walk in with a couple of girlfriends and start looking around for familiar faces when an NDS (nice-looking but drunk stranger) suddenly grabs my arm.

NDS: "Be my date tonight and let's go make new friends!"

If I weren't caught so off-guard I would never have let him drag me away but the next thing I know, we're in a crowd of people and NDS puts his arm around me and starts talking to a friendly looking couple.

NDS: "Heeeyy good to meet you both! How's the night going?"

At this point I'm squirming and trying to get away but his grip is tight and I don't want to create a scene.

Friendly couple: "We're great! How about you guys? Where are you from?"

NDS: "We're great too!We're from around here and looking to make new friends!"

Friendly couple: "We're here with our MBA friend. Are you here for that party too?Where do you work?"

NDS: "I studied sports medicine but we don't wanna talk about jobs and careers okay?"

Me (finally struggling free): "Actually, I do want to talk about it. But I need to go find my friends so if you'll all excuse me...."

NDS: "Yes, let's get out of here. Such a pretentious crowd! Asking me right away about my job and stuff. Damn these MBAs!"

Me (grinning): "Yeah, I can see why you think that's pretentious. And Oh!, I'm with that crowd. So I think this is where we say goodbye."

Don't feel too bad for the NDS. I believe he had a grand time with the bachelorette party later that evening ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment