Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Odyssey

odyssey n. , pl. , -seys . An extended adventurous voyage or trip. An intellectual or spiritual quest: an odyssey of discovery.


The Leadership Odyssey we went through during the LF week certainly lived up to its moniker. We were divided into groups of 18 and taken through a series of intellectual and physical tasks that tested our skills and mental strength many times over. I won't elaborate on all the tasks here, but a couple of them really stand out and I feel I must mention them.


THE POLE:
We were taken to a shaded corner of the field and asked to put on harnesses and helmets. At this point I wasn't sure what we were expected to do but I noticed a trapeze swinging high up and I was starting to get a tad nervous. In the next few minutes, after we were told what we had to do, I was not just a tad nervous but positively chattering with fear. Turns out, we were expected to scale up the 40-feet high pole, STAND on top of it, turn around 180 degrees and then LEAP out to catch the trapeze! For a minute I thought it was a joke. You know, maybe they were recording my reaction or something. But then reality hit me as I watched the first of my group mates go for it. It was harrowing to even watch the others go through it. Until then I had only heard the expression "knees shaking in fear" but that day I saw it and I felt it. And when the knees shake the entire damn pole shakes. And you're STILL expected to go through with it. 


I yelled encouragement to all my mates who went before me. "You can do it!", "Remember you're harnessed, so you can't fall!", "Don't look down, look at the trees!". 


And then it was my turn. I scaled up the pole quickly enough, but when I got to the top, I froze. There was barely enough room on top for my two feet! Also, how does one stand up in that situation with nothing to hold on to?! And I was waaaay above the ground! All the words of encouragement I'd shouted simply flew out of my head and before I realized it, my knees were shaking and the pole was dancing. I refused to stand up when the pole was still wobbling but the instructor shouted up at me,"The balance is in your body and your mind. The pole won't stop shaking until you calm down. Put your hand on your knee and stand up." I didn't want to do it. My mind and body both rebelled. I just wanted to get the hell off that pole. I looked at the trees in my line of view but it only reminded me about how high up I was. The next few seconds were a blur as I gritted my teeth and somehow managed to stand up. That was it. I didn't have it in me to slowly turn around. So I simply swung around in one swift motion and lunged for the trapeze. Of course I didn't catch it. But at least I jumped. And I couldn't have done it without all that encouragement from below.


What was the whole point of this exercise you ask? Well, I'm not sure but it was something about facing your greatest challenge and getting through it. Mind over body. Or vice versa. 


RIVER CROSSING:
My heart rate had just about returned to normal when we were taken to this task. Two people scale up ladders side by side and stand on parallel ropes facing each other. The ropes are arm distance apart to start with and then diverge. The task was to walk sideways across the ropes to the other end, while leaning over and pushing off on each others' shoulders for support. This was a less frightening but way more physically challenging task. I experienced the knee-shake again, but my partner AH was wonderfully calm and she got us through most of it. Due to the divergence it was hard to judge how much to lean over and push and I kept worrying that I'd push AH off. 


Me: "OMG this is hard, my rope is shaking too much!"
AH: "It's okay. Don't look down. Look at me. Push me more!"
Me: "Okay I'm not looking down but I'm still nervous and my arms hurt!"
AH: "Talk to me. Don't think about it. So, tell me about your family. Any siblings?"
Me: "Whaa?!" 


The surprise question actually managed to calm me down and we got through a decent distance while chatting about family. Props to AH! :)


Both the activities taught me a lot about myself, my strengths and weaknesses. As a bonus, I met wonderful people who I hope to continue being friends with. I realize the Odyssey isn't over. It's only just begun. And I think I'm ready for it. Next time, I'll catch that trapeze ;)





1 comment:

  1. I have doubts now about pursuing MBA program:)!!

    The pole adventure looks to me impossible, I need to talk to you more on that!! Are there any pics or videos?

    Wow!! you keep surprising me with what you have!

    ReplyDelete