Friday, September 24, 2010

Fear of embarrassment - conquered!

"When you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance." 
- from one of my favorite songs, by Lee Ann Womack.

I would like to live by those lines but sometimes, just sometimes, I get an attack of shyness. I am fairly confident and extroverted for the most part, but there are certain situations where I'll take a backseat and become reserved. It is almost always in scenarios where there's a potential chance of embarrassing myself. Like getting up on stage for the improvisation session during orientation week. I'm sad to admit that I was among the very few people who chose not to participate for a round of improv.  I was terrified of blanking out or saying the wrong word or simply being unfunny. Needless to say, I started regretting my decision exactly one hour after the session ended.

That's why, when asked if I'd like to participate in a surprise flash mob sequence for my company's anniversary celebrations, I readily agreed. The plan was that we flash mobbers would be mingling in the crowd until the music began. We would start casually swinging to the music and then suddenly break into choreographed steps with the professional dancers.

To be honest, everything about the plan made me anxious. Right from the part where we start dancing in the crowd, up until when we finish the sequence on stage in front of 10,000+ people including all our executives. There couldn't possibly be a worse situation where I could make a fool of myself. I had visions of forgetting my steps, tripping up on stage, or worse - tripping up other people in the crowd! A friend who was part of the plan sent me this before the event - ‘Nervous? In 5 billion years the sun will burn out and nothing you did will matter. Feel better?’  Mmph, thanks Alex!

But I'm happy to report that yesterday, I did it! No fiasco and no injuries, just a whole lot of fun. I even got rewarded with VIP access  for my participation which meant front row seats to the Dave Matthews band, VIP lounge, open bar and hobnobbing with executives. Not a bad deal, huh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment