Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Time Management - Fail

In an attempt to be more efficient, I tried out a web service that logs the time I spend on various websites. Yesterday I saw the weekly report and was *shocked* to find that I'd spent an average of 2 hours (mostly past 4pm..hmm) each day on Facebook. Shame on me. So I decided to do something about it. I installed this software called Stay Focused and proceeded to set my allowed time for the entire day to 20 minutes. (Yes, very ambitious.) As you can expect, around 3pm, with one minute left for the software to block the site, I desperately rushed to change the setting to allow me 60 minutes.
This is the ensuing conversation I had with the SF software.

SF: You have one minute left, you're not trying to cheat are you?
Me: Proceed. (as opposed to the other given option - "You're right, I changed my mind.")
SF: Seriously, don't do it. You must stay focused. Do you still want to proceed?
Me: Yes.
SF: What's the point really? I'm supposed to help you be more efficient. Are you sure want to go on?
Me: Yes.
SF: Have you no shame?
Me: No.
SF: I can't help feeling our relationship isn't working. You're not listening to me. I'm afraid this may end things between us. Are you okay with that?
Me: Yes.
SF: I can't believe you said Yes.
Me: Proceed.
SF: Fine. But just so you know, if you click yes again it may cause a thermonuclear reaction that will kill millions and orphan many children. Do you still want to proceed?
Me: Yes.
SF: I'm telling your mom!

And then my settings were finally updated but SF wasn't done yet. A new tab popped up on my screen - http://www.sas.calpoly.edu/asc/ssl/procrastination.html.

After that, I didn't need to actually log on to Facebook for a break. I had already been thoroughly entertained. :)

Update: A number of readers asked me about the tracking/blocking services I mentioned in the post. You can find the tracking site here - http://www.rescuetime.com/. It's pretty cool. Even tracks offline time spent on Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc.
The blocking feature is a Google Chrome extension - https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/laankejkbhbdhmipfmgcngdelahlfoji. I'm sure there are tricks for other browsers as well, I just haven't looked them up yet. Good luck with productivity now. :)

11 comments:

  1. What's the service you used to track the amount of time you spent on all the different websites?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called Rescue Time. There's an elaborate paid version that will block sites for you, but I choose to stick to free versions that I won't mind ignoring/over-riding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! There are software programs to help you curb the amount of time spent on the net??? Where??? I need to find out more about this to tell parents of teenagers whose main complaint is the amount of time they spend on FB and other sites...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROTFL...at the first glance when i saw this post and saw "SF: I'm telling your mom!" , i thought it was a chat transcript with one of the usual suspects, but reading it fully was absolutely hilarious...never knew any such thing ever even existed...hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol! It asked you if you had any shame! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha glad you guys found it amusing too:) And I'm also happy you could find out some useful information here.
    - Psych, tell the parents about RescueTime and StayFocused. The only downside of SF is that it's easy to cheat by using another browser..I know from experience:P
    - Shweta, glad you found the blog and liked it! Haha I found another creative outlet to escape the sleeping/daydreaming/rambling phases. I just blog about whatever's in my head then :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL..Nitya this is hilarious...I am planning to install this "SF" software on my office machine...to help me time exactly 60 minutes on work realated stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! If I wasn't such a proud procrastinator I feel this SF software and I could have quite entertaining conversations :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do these softwares have phone app equivalents? That could be a loophole that needs to be tightened.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Rajan - Let me know how that works out for you. Remember, we're FEMBAs, not FUMBAs!

    @Chris - I'm sure of that as well:) Perhaps I should post one such imaginary conversation with inputs from the usual suspects.

    @Samir - I'm already cheating - I use Firefox and Mozilla if I run out of time on Chrome. Pathetic, I know.

    ReplyDelete